Sunday, 28 January 2007

The hills are alive...

I have decided to add "Climb Mt Kosciuszko" to my list.

I figure I'm never going to make it to Mt Everest, and I'm too chicken to climb the sydney harbour bridge, so Mt Kosciuszko it is!

There's a circuit (22km total) that runs from Charlotte's Pass (named after the first woman to climb it) to the summit and back, over the Snowy river, past lakes and heath and all sorts...

Alpine area: Main Range Track - Charlotte's Pass to Mount Kosciuszko
12.5 km, 4.5 hours, difficult

After crossing the Snowy River below Charlotte's Pass, the track climbs through alpine herbfields past Hedley Tarn Lookout to Blue Lake Lookout. It then climbs Carruther's Peak which provides spectacular views to the west. It continues along the exposed ridge of the Main Range above Club Lake and Lake Albina until it meets the Summit Walk between Rawson's Pass and Mount Kosciuszko. Turn right to climb Kosciuszko before returning via the old road to Charlotte's Pass.

Alpine area: Summit Walk - Charlotte's Pass to Mount Kosciuszko
9 km, 3.5 hours, difficult

This walk follows the old road to Mount Kosciuszko. In 1976 the NPWS closed the road to public vehicles at Charlotte's Pass because of safety concerns, environmental problems and lack of parking. The walk passes through snow gums, heath and herbfields and provides extensive views of the Main Range and Snowy River. After crossing the Snowy River the track climbs gradually to Seaman's Hut, Rawson's Pass and Mount Kosciuszko's summit.


from the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service website

Thinking about doing this actually made me cry... I guess the thought of being at the top of Australia, and all that symbolic stuff.

Will either do this before May, or after September... for obvious reasons you don't climb in winter unless you're totally nuts. Anyone wanna join me??

I'd swap this one for skiing any day!!

No comments: